Gujiya8, Nov, 2012, by Seema
Gujiya is a traditional Indian sweet, popular in Northern part of India. These are prepared on major festivals like Holi and Diwali. It is especially an important part of celebration for Holi festival. Since it is a special homemade sweet so some people prefer to prepare it for Diwali celebrations as well, like in my home, we prepare it on Holi and Diwali both. Preparation of Gujiya is a bit elaborate and takes time. Before pampering your taste buds with this delicious treat, please be mindful about it's high calories and cholesterol.
Estimated cooking time : 120 mins
IngredientsMaida (All purpose flour) - 250 gm
Milk - 1 medium size cup
Khoya (thickened milk) - 250 gm
Ghee (clarified butter) - 100 gm
Coconut (grated) - 50 gm
Chironjee (sunflower seeds)- 2 tbspn
Almonds - 10, finely chopped
Magaz ( melon seeds) - 1tsp
Raisins - 2 tbspn
Sugar (powdered) - 200 gm
Oil for deep frying - 2 medium sized cups
- Heat a pan and put khoya. Fry it until it gets pinkish.
- Remove it from heat and allow it to cool for 20 mins.
- Add powered sugar.
- Add almonds, raisins, chironjee and coconut. Mix these well
- Mix flour and ghee thoroughly.
- Slowly add milk and knead well to form a hard dough.
- Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside. This is to avoid dough getting dried.
- In a separate bowl, mix 2 tbspn of maida with water and keep it aside.
- Make small balls of prepared dough. Pick one ball at a time and roll it to thin round shape.
- In the center of each round shape, add 1 tbspn of filling. On the outer edges, dab the mixed flour and water mixture with a finger.
- Fold the round shape in the middle or form a D shape. Close and seal the edges properly by pressing.
- Fold the smaller portion of outer edge towards inside. This is to ensure that it doesn't get open while deep frying. (When I do it, I know a special way of folding the edge, it comes out as a decorative design for the edges.)
- Follow the same procedure for rest of balls.
- Keep all these in a separate tray.
- In a pan, add cooking oil for deep frying Gujiyas. Allow it to heat up for 10 mins on medium heat.
- Now, put 3 -4 gujiyas at a time and fry them until they are light brown. Do not over fry. Deep fry rest of the gujiyas.
- After deep frying, put them on an absorbent paper in a tray so that excess oil gets absorbed.
Storage Tips - Gujiyas can be kept in air tight container at room temperature for maximum a week or 10 days.In winters it can be 10 but in summers it would be lesser.